Friday, December 23, 2011

O Holy Night


O Holy Night, by Adolphe Adam, is probably my favorite Christmas song.  The lyrics are absolutely sublime.  The last verse is my favorite because it speaks to me of the essence of Jesus' life - love, peace, and liberation.

This is also my favorite painting of Jesus - Healing at the Pool of Bethesda by Carl Bloch.  I don't know what the artist had in mind with this painting but to me it speaks of Jesus showing compassion toward the outcasts, the people who have been most forgotten and neglected.  I think of this painting whenever I here the third verse of O Holy Night.

This Christmas as I have remembered Jesus Christ I have come back again and again to this song and this image and it has inspired me.  So I wanted to share it.

Merry Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment